Tuesday, March 2, 2010

It's crazy how things work out :)

So at the beginning of the year (I say that like the year is already half-way over), I set my goals. You may remember them? From a previous post? No?

Okay, I'll remind ya:

1. Finish my book and submit it to a few well-chosen agents;
2. Write another book for my sister-in-law;
3. Get my Certificate IV in Professional Writing and Editing; and
4. Collaborate with my musician friend to get some amazing songs written.

Phew. I'm winded just thinking about all that again. So obviously, I took on a pretty big year. And if I'm being honest, I really started to feel the pressure after I posted those goals - if I'm gonna put them all out there, I sure as hell better live up to them!

But things have taken a nice leisurely turn into a way for me to actually accomplish what I set out to do. I've started the course (and am loving every minute of it), and it's already teaching me things I needed to know for my book. Also, part of the course is a section on screenwriting and, desperate for a good idea to work with, I decided to peruse all of my old writing notebooks in search of something I could adapt into a script. Instead, I found some lyrics I wrote a few years ago that could fit in perfectly with my musician friend's latest acoustic piece. Yay! And finally, still short of a screenplay idea, the light bulb clicked on and I decided to write my sister-in-law her very own screenplay instead of a novel. I already had the ideas, characters, setting, etc. worked out, so it was a no-brainer to just use it. (She's thrilled, by the way.)

And as the icing on my cake, I've discovered that I would love, love, LOVE to be a freelance editor one day. As a way to fund my writing career, of course!

So that's it - my realization that your goals don't have work against you and that there's no reason not to put yourself out there and just go for gold :)

6 comments:

Karen Lange said...

Sounds like you are off to a great start! :)

Rebekah D. Hay said...

Yep! Now if only I can maintain it for the next 8 or 9 months...

:)

Jennifer Shirk said...

Good for you!

Rebekah D. Hay said...

Thanks, Jennifer:)

Unknown said...

Good for you! Being three months into the year and already that far along in achieving your goals is fantastic! Keep it up.

Rebekah D. Hay said...

Thanks:) I'm trying to keep up some momentum for the inevitable dry spell, so we'll see how that goes...