Tuesday, March 16, 2010

So apparently, I'm still in love.

With my novel, that is. (Don't worry, the hubby and I are doing fine. But for the sake of this post, let's assume my true love is my WIP, shall we?)

I've made no secret of the fact that working on my novel has been a slog. I got to a point in the book that was just not interesting to me in any way. Hence the hiatus and the whining and complaining about the capabilities I do or don't have.... You get the picture.

Well, I've finally gotten to a point where I LOVE this book again. How do I know? Because I just cried for my main character. The poor guy, he's really getting the raw deal at the moment. Good for me, not so good for him.

Okay, wait. Before you think I'm some sadistic writer who gets her thrills from putting a good guy through the worst pain, give me a chance to defend myself here. I cried for him. That means that what I'm writing is some pretty emotional stuff to write. And if it's emotional to write, the chances are fairly good that it'll be emotional to read. And THAT is what I aspire to - creating things that will bring out my readers' emotions. It means I'm getting my point across.

So, yay! Yay for sticking my guy in the worst possible situation without any foreseeable means to escape or save the day!

Now all I've gotta do is figure out his means to escape and save the day...

Uh, yeah. I'll get back to you on that one.

No comments: