Thursday, June 17, 2010

Ah, the life of a writer, er, I mean, transcriptionist!

Okay, I'm finally into the revision stage on my book (though this first revision is less for substance and more for polishing the first draft to be presentable enough for my free proof copy). So far, I'm really loving this part far more than the actual writing. There's a lot to be said for having material in front of you to work with.

I've chopped, changed, cut and amended my way through the first couple of chapters and I'm relatively happy with how the edits are coming along. One thing I noticed this morning was that I was skipping over certain portions of dialogue, sort of thinking to myself, No, I don't need to change that - that's what she said. !!

So does that mean I've gotten the dialogue right? If so, it might provide an excellent guide to the story and make my job that much easier! And on the other hand, I should be able to recognize when the dialogue isn't working if it doesn't feel like my characters actually said it. Right?

It's such an interesting experience, revising. Definitely not something I expected, but totally enjoyable in a whole new way:)

3 comments:

SteferstheGreat said...

Glad to hear the process is going so wonderfully for you! :)

I know that when I'm editing my pieces I tend to skim over all of my dialogue and focus on the rest. Dialogue has always come easy to me, and I can usually tell when something sounds cliche or just doesn't flow right. So I completely understand. Go with your gut. If it sounds/feels right, then it probably is. :)

Good luck with the rest of your process!!

Rebekah D. Hay said...

Thanks, Stef:) It really is a wonderful experience!

prashant said...

That's a neat piece of advice! Thanks for sharing, and good luck with your ending.
Banner Advertising Network India